The gerund phrase 'swimming in a pool' functions as a predicate nominative, following the linking 'is' verb to rename the subject 'exercise'. Gerund: In this sentence, the words singing and laughing function as nouns, making them gerunds. Gerund exercises and answers, phrase, infinitives, gerund for kids, gerund quiz in english grammar ... GERUND - EXERCISES. Flying makes me nervous. Spelling Tip. For example, “climbing” is a gerund while “climbing a tree” is a gerund phrase. Any action verb can be made into a gerund. Always check the oil, before you start the car. When the noun preceding the gerund is plural, collective, or abstract, use the common form of that noun, not the possessive. The gerund looks exactly the same as a present participle, but it is useful to understand the difference between the two. 74% average accuracy. To play this quiz, please finish editing it.
Gerunds are words that are formed with verbs but act as nouns. Functions of Gerunds.

They are created out of verbs, but function as nouns. Typically, a gerund is used as a "thing" or an "idea," and gerunds always end in "-ing". This quiz is incomplete! Some uses of the gerund are covered on this page. However, when working as a gerund, borrowing is now a noun. To play this quiz, please finish editing it. Gerunds are the elusive shapeshifters of the English language. To class is the direct object of the action expressed by the gerund. Gerunds function as nouns in the sentence and therefore can take up the following roles: The subject of the sentence; Getting to class early in the winter is the hardest thing I can do; Getting is the gerund. 14 Questions Show answers. A gerund is a verb in its ing (present participle) form that functions as a noun that names an activity rather than a person or thing. In this function the gerund is always preceded by a preposition. Professor Villa was amazed by her students working as hard as they did. Verbing (Present Participle) Add ing to most verbs. A gerund is one of three types of verbals.A verbal is formed using a verb, but it functions as a different part of speech in the sentence.. Gerunds function as nouns in the sentence. Gerund Practice DRAFT. Q. For example: "Do you mind my borrowing these supplies?" Use gerunds in the following sentences : 1. Improve your language arts knowledge with free questions in "Identify gerunds and their functions" and thousands of other language arts skills.
Gambling is a very dangerous occupation. A gerund … Gerunds can also function as the subject of the sentence, the direct object, or as the subject complement. They’re very easy to spot, since every gerund is a verb with ing tacked to its tail. ans : Always check the oil, before starting the … Predicative Constructions with the gerund form a complex object as they consist of two distinct elements, nominal and verbal. A gerund is a verb that ends in “-ing,” whereas a gerund phrase is the same thing but with modifiers or complements added in. In the study of English grammar, the terms “gerund” and “gerund phrase” are some things you’ll need to know about if you want to master the language. One way to spot a gerund is to notice that they always end in -ing. They can function as subjects, direct objects, objects of the preposition, and predicate nouns. A gerund is a type of verbal that ends in -ing and is used like a noun. A gerund, which functions as a noun, can consist of a single word or a phrase. The gerund always has the same function as a noun (although it looks like a verb). 5. Playing soccer is good for your health; Singing makes Sarah happy #2 The Gerund as Direct Object in a sentence. A separate page deals with verbs that are … Gardening is my favorite hobby. Share practice link.

Examples of gerunds as subjects of a sentence. Ex. (The other two are participles and infinitives.)

Perhaps, you wouldn’t mind Richard’s coming in. This quiz is incomplete! Infinitive: You can tell that to dance is an infinitive because "to" precedes the word "dance." The gerund as an attribute.

ISAT Score Chart, C Wright Mills Power Elite Essay, Chatham Grammar School Uniform, No More Animal Testing, Importance Of Water Essay, Steel Mills Seizure By Truman Research Paper, Quotes About Myself Girl, Lord Of The Flies Theme Questions, Ielts General Training Reading Practice Test Pdf With Answers, Rutgers--new Brunswick Application Deadline, Principles Of Health Education And Health Promotion Pdf, Reflection Journal Sample, Hill 70 Beer, Creativity Essay Ielts, Susan Sontag Notes On Camp, Acrostic Poem Lesson, Design And Technology Book Pdf, Healthy Lifestyle Essay Speech, How To Check Plagiarism In Word, How To Write An Introduction For A Math Project, Storyboard Fashion Design, How To Prepare For A Job Interview Essay, Paranoid Schizophrenia Hereditary, Unpacking Of Tok Titles 2020, Design Passion Projects, James Bowen Jockey, Ideas For Ielts Topics, Positive Psychology Toolkit Pdf, University Microfilms International, School Uniform Labels, Research Methodology Definition, Lesser Key Of Solomon, Service-learning Reflection Sheet, Making Inferences Anchor Chart, Paragraph Writing On My Hero My Ideal, Radical Attitudes: The Architecture Of Douglas Cardinal, Aldous Huxley Essays, Into The Racism Workshop By Chrystos,