Utilitarianism is a philosophical theory which states that that which is right is what brings the greatest amount of happiness to the greatest maximum number of people. For instance, act utilitarianism views doing charity works and punishing crimes are morally right since they produce greater happiness and good to the people. Workplace Example of Utilitarianism Ethics The core idea of utilitarianism is that an action is right if it results in the happiness of the greatest number of people in a society or a group. This is because Act Utilitarianism is a teleological theory where actions are based on results. More importantly, the act utilitarianism evaluates an act by its actual consequences, unlike rule utilitarianism. Act utilitarianism is a teleological ethical theory propounded by Jeremy Bentham. In the workplace, the idea of this concept is if you conduct yourself properly at work, then you will be able to achieve professional happiness. Act utilitarianism first looks into the consequences of an act. value of that act.

Act utilitarianism sees the consequence of an action in itself (as one act) whereas rule utilitarianism sees the consequences as if it will be repeated all over again (for the long term). The consequences of the act of giving money to charity would be considered right in act-utilitarianism, because the money increases the happiness of many people, rather than just yourself. Bentham’s Act Utilitarianism. So outwardly the two forms may appear to be very similar, however they do differ greatly. For example, he mentions how act-utilitarians apply rules where there are guidelines to their behavior, known as the rules-of-thumb. His primary interest was in stopping the widespread social injustice he witnessed as a lawyer. Utilitarianism also differs from ethical theories that make the rightness or wrongness of an act dependent upon the motive of the agent, for, according to the utilitarian, it is possible for the right thing to be done from a bad motive.

It proposes that actions should be judged individually on their ability to bring about the ‘Principle of Utility’. Act utilitarianism states that an act is correct if the act produces much happiness as compared to any other act. Background. Act utilitarianism sees the consequence of an action in itself . In act-utilitarianism, we are required to promote those acts which will result in the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Rule Utilitarianism is based on the same hedonist basis as Act Utilitarianism, that is to say that they are both formed on the basis that pleasure or happiness is the sole intrinsic good, and the promotion of pleasure and the prevention of pain determine our moral decisions.

For example if I splash cold water at someone to wake up for school this is a good action as it has good consequences because the person I splashed water on can go on to school and gain knowledge and this I will also create happiness.

Programming Projects For Resume, How To Study For Irish Paper 1, Reporters Without Borders, Causes Of The Civil War Primary Sources, Easyjet Ski Holidays, Essay On My Favorite Movie, Man The Reformer, Victoria Laundry V Newman, Is Hamlet's Death Inevitable, The Godfather Higher English Notes, Meaning Of Insectivorous, Must See Disney Movies, Women, Race And Class, Lessons About Love, Unconventional Ways To Make Money Reddit, The Crucible Found Poem, Medway Council Waste Services, How To Start A Compare And Contrast Paragraph, Introduction To Social Policy Pdf, Adler University Admission Requirements, Into The Wild Images, Healthy Eating Posters For Schools, Architecture Art History, Documentary Photography Tips, Belief And Faith Essay, History Of Euthanasia In Netherlands, Jobs For Neat Handwriting, Race And Culture Essay, The Great Gatsby Chapter 1 Audio, Write My Essay In 2 Hours, Who's Running America?, Checkers Speech Logical Fallacies, Abstract Reasoning Test, Climate Change 2019, Introduction To Facebook Pdf, Mexican Speaking English Meme, Hunger Games Essay Hook, Highlights And Lowlights Synonym, Facebook Careers Dc, Virtue And Values, My Name Is Seepeetza, Process Essay R=h:edu, Principles Of Science Curriculum, Interior Design Thesis, How To Write Science, Reflection Paper End Of Semester, Solution To Problem Of Food Shortage, Causes Of Water Pollution Short Essay, Measles Treatment And Prevention, Things Middle Schoolers Say, Best Book On Semiotics, Neuroscience Of Reward, Motivation And Drive, British Natural Theology, Benefits Of Marketing Concept, Greenberg, Modernist Painting Summary, Fantasy Plot Ideas,